Department of Health - Information and advice on covid-19
Department of Health and Human Services - Victoria
Student Visas’ Working Hours Relaxed – COVID-19
The Department of Home Affairs has decided to ease the working hours restriction on Student Visas (currently 40 hours per fortnight). The purpose being to alleviate excess work pressure and understaffing issues by utilising foreign workers.
- If you employ foreign workers on Student Visas, they can work more than 40 hours per fortnight if:
a. they are existing employees in current roles; and
b. the work they undertake “ensure[s] the supply of groceries to and in supermarkets and related online distribution facilities.”
- Any other visa conditions and workplace laws must continue being maintained.
- This is only temporary due to COVID-19, until you are further advised.
- In order to apply for the exemption, please fill the short online application form, which will take you less than five minutes. Please only complete one
form if you own multiple stores.
- After submitting the form, please wait for an outcome from the Department.
Should you require any assistance or further information, please do not hesitate to contact MGA’s Legal and IR team on 1800 888 479, extension 1.